https://thevillagemercantile.blogspot.com

Sunday, June 14, 2026

How to unplug if you wish to...even just a bit .


 

Hello.

* It is Flag Day, I must remember in honour of my dad.




+++

I am swimming in the life of a 4 1/2 year old boy this weekend.

Last week was filled with lots of unexpected meetings and

appointments and well, adulting.

This weekend ( Thursday, Friday, Sat & Today) has been blessed.

๐Ÿ’–

I tweaked my injured side but ya know what?

( cracked a rib a few weeks back)

Who cares?

I babied it when I could and played with him until I was exhausted.

Painting bird feeders, laying in the grass, chasing each other with the hose,

eating kid friendly meals, fully being present in a New England summer's day.

BUT he does take naps ( blessedly) and I get to reset the house, bake a treat

and write a bit here.






++++

Let's Chat!

I want to talk about what I have been doing in order to feel more confident

about my privacy online and well...everywhere.

In the beginning....I had *friends* talk me into this online friends space.

I remembered what my dad said ( who worked in the finer optic situation in the

70, 80's...he retired in 90 and passed away 6 months later)

I should not put any identifying information online for it is forever

stored. I thought he was nuts but as time passed he was proved to be correct.

My name online FB is an interesting conglomeration of my name.

I never pay bills  online- paper checks.

I routinely go in and unsubscribe to things.

As new updates happen, some I will do and others no way.

The creep is real, whether it is online, on poles in your town

or when you visit a new neighbourhood, your location is being

tracked and stored. Your lifestyle choices are being tracked, your speed as you drive

( I can not believe anyone put one of those tracers in their

cars from the insurance co. But soon you won't need that because the car will record

your every move, speed and eye positioning.

Creep just turned into creepy.


Do I believe that this will be challenged in court eventually?

yes.

And privacy will win,  but in the meantime....

Your phone & computer :

turn off tracking on all apps

lock down id access

offboard apps you do not want or use.

turn off location on photos

( if there was a way to turn off Live Photos I would-

they gather info from the words spoken in them)

I clear my cookies, cache and browser regularly .


In * real life* :

do not sign on to any apps from stores, doctors offices

or hotels.

Pay by cash or check when you can

( ion fact my farmers welcome that- it cuts out their cc fees)

Change passwords often

Just say no. - do not offer any personal information to anyone.

I do not use invite apps at all.

Seems convenient until you realize you have told AI who your

family & friends are, where they live and your baby's name, date of birth

weight and length.

I generally will also weed through all emails every day and delete.

Heavily delete.

I have one email address for personal use and one for other things.

Since the beginning of the internet....

I may delete my shutter fly account soon.

Since 2006 or 9 I have used them but now with AI my personal 

albums are not personal.

I was just given a notice that when I opted out of FB giving my info

to off sites I have visited it no longer will be an option, though they

said that I could go to every site and adjust it there.

Seriously ?

You know how many chicken and shopping sites I go to on the daily?

It is slowly creeping and most folks either do not have the bandwidth

to deal with it or do not care.

They are of the group that says, * I don't mind plate readers or flock cameras

because I do nothing wrong* Until you get a fine in the mail that is a mistake.

Until it affects them, they do not want tithing about it.

( those are also the complainers and the whiners )


I have to say that I wonder every day if I can live without 

it at all. I mean, if my life would be less stressful and the world a

bit brighter, more vibrant without the pull of a device that I 

lived a good while without.

My car...my blessed simple 6 speed Wrangler has no real AI or tracking garbage

on it. Yes, it is old, but I will keep it forever.

Last thing I want is some AI thing shutting it off because 

my insurance company did not get my bill in time.

( which will happen....)

Stay small.

Leave a lot to wonder.

Let people imagine more.

Not everyone needs to know everything about you.

TRUTH

Despite what all the popular socials say.


Do I push back when the reach is too broad?

Yes.

I have never been wrong about it either- in 4o some years....

The past week has had me wondering if writing this blog is even worth it.

I am living out loud, putting energies into real lived experiences.

A shift away from the days where we were told to stay home and 

live away from folks.


I have new people in my life who I feel happy being around,

new accounts on the socials I do still have and they are 

folks who share my values and interests.

This social media stuff I feel was to drag us all into this

AI tracking phase ... a social misfit designing a way to communicate

with others like him has been taken over by big business and 

nefarious agencies.

I am all, real conversation, real interactions, real people.

I do not have to worry if the person I am interacting with is 

who they say they are. ( In fact the past 5 years unearthed lies told

to me by co-workers that would have changed whether I

chose them to be in my personal life or not)

Online they felt emboldened and the stuff people divulge is gross.


Moving forward I am looking to create a fresh space for people to

learn, interact with one another and form a small support

family...not to run away from society but to trim away the

nonsense and over reach.

Just plain people.

Just plain living.

+++


Let us talk about this sweater.

It was a birthday gift and I adore it!

You can find it and my squirrel, sea gull and holiday sweaters here:

High quality, made in New England by the best folks.







I am also purchasing more books, old from thrifting and new ones like this.

The artwork is fine and heartbreaking and wise.

I feel like when  new trending thing comes into our lives us old souls

bring out the best in each other.

This is one of those old souls.


Great for gifting too.




Yep. that is me, always was always will be.

I do my own thing.

I hope that you find some of what I wrote helpful friends.

We can become too exposed if we drop our guard and by then

it may be too late.

Think of this as a closing the door BEFORE the horse gets out!


Bless you.

xoxo

Raven

๐Ÿฆ‍⬛







No comments:

Post a Comment

{Something written here would be lovely}

Copyright © theherbshedatstonehollow. All Rights Reserved.
Blogger Template by The October Studio