Woke up super early for a travel day.
Even before I got to my first stop I had avoided a bad accident
and I have no idea how.
How I avoided the accident to my left, the 80mph cars to my right,
getting rear ended and the pile of debris.... I have no earthly idea.
I just know I had my angel with me.
The day itself was extended birthday fun, a bit of homeschooling,
lunch with an old friend but then an interstate road shut down because of an accident.
It took me so long to get home.
Thunderstorm.
Go out to tuck them in and I see the predator scaling
the back fence...and feathers.
In the end, my beloved Cooper and 3 of his girls were gone.
Not for food, but in a sick rampage.
I found my tiny girl Sweet Pea in the back of the old coop shivering.
Cooper had managed to save her.
The Mr. & I spend the rest of our evening cleaning it all up,
burying my babies and thinking how to avoid this in the future.
Locking them up forever is not the answer.
But we have no idea what we will do.
My mistake was in not putting them away before the storm.
It got really dark and that gave the predator a chance.
Chickens cannot see well in the darkness.
That will never happen again.
For now, I will be sticking close to home in order to
establish a presence here and vary my routine up to not be
as predictable.
We will survive this loss.





No comments:
Post a Comment
{Something written here would be lovely}